Summer Travel Information
School’s out and many of us are heading for the beaches, either here in the UK, or abroad.
If you’re travelling with a bleeding disorder it’s important that you are prepared ahead of time. We’ve put together a checklist of things to do before you travel and what to take with you when you go with our travelling with a bleeding disorder checklist.
Our Travel Checklist:
– Doctor’s letter
– Wear medical identification information such as Medic Alert I.D.
– Factor and other treatment products
– A copy of prescription for both hand and stowed luggage
– Have you located and notified the nearest haemophilia centre to where you are staying?
– Have you told your local haemophilia centre?
– Travel insurance
– Vaccinations and immunisations
– First aid kit / extra supplies
Things to Remember:
– Documents can take time to process, so make sure you have left enough time before your trip
– You can call your haemophilia centre at any time, so if you’re concerned then don’t hesitate to call
– Telephone the local haemophilia centre if you are in need of treatment
– The standard of care can vary from country to country, and some countries may not provide haemophilia support. Therefore, if you are planning to travel to a country that does not have a haemophilia centre, you must discuss this with your healthcare team beforehand to seek their advice
– Make sure someone else within your travelling party has a copy of your paperwork/documents
– You must carry your factor on you when flying in case it is lost or stolen in your stowed away luggage
– It’s helpful to tell the travel agent about your condition so that they can make arrangements e.g. making sure there’s a fridge in your room for your factor
We believe that you should be able to live your life to the fullest, and by taking our advice you can be safe and have fun wherever your adventure may be. If you require any further information, you can talk to a healthcare professional at your haemophilia centre, or use the links below.
World Federation of Hemophilia